Wednesday 15 June 2011

I went to Red Square...............it was closed Day 3

I woke early again. I mean really early, about 5am. It was too early for breakfast, and knowing the price of room service, I wasn’t going to call for a coffee. I switched on the TV and flicked through the channels. Star Trek had moved on, it was now “Die folgende Generation” Mr Data was just saying “Ich bin ein Androide. Ich bin des Gefühls unfähig.”” I am an android, I am incapable of feeling.” Having driven for Tesco, I knew how he felt.






I dozed until breakfast time, then made my way down the strairs. The maid was still polishing the banister. “dobre ootra” she said. I wondered if it was a full time job for her, or if occasionally, she got to polish something else. 






Knowing the prices I was paying for my room, I crammed as much breakfast down me as I could, and set off once again for Red Square. It was open. I walked to the centre and looked all around. I walked along each side in turn. I stood and looked at Lenin’s tomb; I took some snaps of St Basils cathedral, and Gum, the kremlin and the museum at the entrance. I got bored then, it was nice, but a bit of an anti-climax. I wandered out of the square and made my way around the Kremlin wall.






On the opposite side of the road, on the corner of a major roundabout, was what must be one of the smallest churches in the world. It was about big enough for a priest and one parishioner, or two at a push, and as long as they are good friends. There was also a flower border with the word “ Москва” spelled out, all it needed was a floral clock, and I would have thought I was at Margate.
I took a bus tour around the city, including the university, Bolshoi Theatre, and a fantastic war memorial gardens, complete with an exhibition of captured German tanks and guns.






When I returned to Red Square, I made my way into the kremlin, somewhere I would never have dreamed about entering 20 or more years ago. Inside the walls is a small town all on its own, complete with office blocks, churches parks, accommodation and theatre. It was a nice to see it as something more than a government building. The churches all had golden Domes, and ornate decoration. The Kremlin is a series of castles and fortifications, and was first used as the seat of the united Russian Government under Ivan the great back in the 15th Century. I have to admit, I was impressed with the place.




Once outside, I walked along the side of the Kremlin walls through a park where young Muscovites were enjoying a warm, sunny weekend, playing ball, eating ice creams, and soaking up the sun. I came across the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the eternal flame. The Russians are justifiably proud of their victory in the “great Patriotic war”. WWII to us. Many millions of Russians died fighting Hitler, My father in law was a hero of the siege of Leningrad, and decorated as a Hero of the Soviet Union. Every year in may they hold a parade through the streets of St Petersburg, where he and his diminishing band of colleagues are given a heroes ovation by young and old. At the eternal flame in Moscow, young cadets from across Russia are selected to stand guard. It is a great honour to be chosen to represent your town or village. I watched the changing of the guard. Not as bombastic as the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace, but a moving ceremony none the less.
Afterwards, I visited my favourite Café where my young, blonde waitress was pleased to see me. She accepted the invitation to join me for the evening entertainment. I thought about suggesting a visit to the Bolshoi Ballet, but the image of sitting in an RDC waiting room for hours, discussing what we did on holiday came into my head. Can you imagine the reaction in a room full of hairy arsed truckers when I say I went to the ballet? I can hear the bottoms shuffling further along the benches away from me already!
We walked in Alexander gardens, a pleasant park next to the Kremlin wall, there is a water feature that is illuminated at night, where children, and adults can climb onto islands containing statues of folk heroes and fairy tale characters. After a few drinks, we made our way back to the hotel. One thing was for certain, there would be no Star trek tonight




No comments: